Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sunday morning - Barbados National Trust Hikes

So when it comes to my baby blog - I have been aloof, too lazy, and too busy for the last week and a bit.

But busy in good ways :)

Unfortunately my level of guilt for my absence is overflowing. So here I am!

I am happy to report that I have one-upped my measly 30 minutes morning walk (which isn't really that measly). Last Sunday I went on a 3hr 20min hike. The hike is a weekly hike that is organised by the Barbados National Trust.



The hike is fantastic because it allows you to see many of Barbados' nooks and crannies.

Every Sunday, hikers put on the baggy clothes, fill their camelbacks with hydrating concoctions, and smear on sunscreen to depart at 6am, with their walking stick in hand and a grin on their face (it is just a fact that people who exercise are happy people).


Now, my loving friends (Anni & Cathy) who have hiked before, decided this Sunday was a good day to start back and I agreed to tag along, simply because there was no reason not to.




So I rolled my sleeping body out of bed at 4:55am (still dark outside) and headed north to the parish of St. Lucy. I took - my camera, a water bottle, a granola bar. I wish I took sunglasses and a basketball cap (but now I know that for next time).

The National Trust Hikes are very well attended and well organised. They set out in what appeared to be 3 different groups. Each group has its own pace and route (slow, medium, fast). Since we were not sure of our fitness level this early in the morning, we opted for the Stop and Stare group (the slowest pace, tortoise-esk group).



This was a brilliant pace for us, especially for photo-taking. But it was a mutual decision that we need to up the ante and try the medium level next time. Stay posted for news on that hike (no too sure when that is happening).



In general, long walks are a great way to catch up with girlfriends.

Endorphins and chitchat are a great combo :)

I highly recommend the hike.

Go check out the Hiking Schedule here!

No comments:

Post a Comment