Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Morning Exercise

So I have started back walking/running twice a week... and let us just say that it has been a while.

I used to religiously walk/run after work a couple days a week but I fell out of that routine when my very trusty MP3 player decided not to be so trusty in November 2010 - a very sad day.

Now this doesn't mean that I have not been exercising (I do pay for exercise classes) but I have not been taking advantage of the fact that I live in paradise and that I can run (free of cost) outside nearly every day.

So I decided to start this running thing back up - one thumb up! And on top of that I am doing it in the morning before work and I am not a morning person - so two thumbs up! I chose the mornings because they are more reliable - after work is always a hit and miss.

I pride myself on being a self motivated exercising individual - having someone else there is nice but not necessary. But this morning was a special treat as both of my parents came a long for the walk... I think my healthy ways are rubbing off.

And we also took our jack russell, LuLu.

Now I thought I was going to have a leisurely walk as the rents were joining and they do not jog/run... but I was pleasantly surprised when LuLu quickly stepped up to the challenge. She made this walk one of the hardest ones - she literally didn't let me stop running. If I stopped I got sad eyes... and guilt filled my conscience.

LuLu chewing on our chain link fence - dog/personal trainer

My tips for non-morning exercisers:

  • I set my clothes out the night before so I can jump into them when I am still half asleep
  • I started with with one day a week and chose a day that I knew I was going to bed early
  • I did not go into it planning to run (the first day I went... I walked the entire thing) this way I had no reason to be hard on myself because I achieved the goal of simply waking up and going for a walk. 
  • I have subsequently built up to jogging 1/3 of my route - with the help of Lu Lu!


So my advice now will be get up... see the sunrise... and take your pooch for a walk. If you have a dog take them too :)

ps. I am completely aware of how cheesy that last line is... but I couldn't resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment