Friday, May 27, 2011

First Recipe from Super Natural Every Day

I am currently reading for the first time ever, from front to back, a cookbook. 

For most foodies this is the norm but for me it is very new but strangely very familiar. Once I got hold of Heidi Swanson's "Super Natural Every Day" I decided that reading cookbooks can be both educational and enjoyable - who knew? This is officially my first cookbook, not my parents or borrowed from a friend... mine. 

I choose it because I recently started following blogs and one was Heidi's: 101cookbooks. Her blog is beautiful and the food she makes is my type of food... whole grain, veggie rich, feel good food. When I got to know the creator behind 101cookbooks, I discovered she has written 2 cookbooks and it all started (probably for her love of food) with her lose-yourself-in-yummy-recipes-great-photography blog. I wanted to support this lady and learn from her.


The book is easy to read and she is constantly giving suggestions to how her recipes can be tweaked and how you can substitute some ingredients. I like that I can pick up this cookbook and find a recipe that I can whip together without having to go to the super market to shop for essential ingredients. 

Below is a dish I did a couple nights ago. I got home after the gym and due to the rumbling coming from my stomach I had to make myself something for dinner. I craved something warm, savoury, and healthy (I really didn't want to consume all the calories I just lost). After peering into the fridge and not seeing anything that fit my dinner criteria, I remembered a recipe that I read during my lunch break - "White Beans and Cabbage" in the lunch section. 

Since I read the recipe before hand and all the side notes that come with it, I remembered I could substitute ingredients which suddenly made this recipe doable. So instead of using potatoes I used sweet potatoes. Instead of using white beans I used Cannellini beans (still a white bean and she notes that chick peas are another substitute). And I used white instead of green cabbage.


It is a very simple recipe that calls for only 4 main ingredients: potato, onion, beans, cabbage. I tried to find the recipe on Heidi's blog (no luck) and typing it out will be time consuming and there is a glass of red wine out there calling my name... as it is Friday afternoon.


So simply I will encourage you to purchase the book and have a read. 

I loved this simple recipe. I found it amusing that my first recipe from this book was the recipe photographed on her cover... totally not planned. But totally cool!

The finished product topped with Parmesan cheese

I used this recipe to play with my 50mm 1.8 lens (only lens used for all these post's photo). It was hard without zoom but I managed. 

The 1.8 aperture is great when working in low light and with food - I have discovered.


My next cookbook most likely will be Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce... hope to get it very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment