Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homemade Pizza Party!

Now I am a much better blog follower than I am creator/author. Fact.

I do see myself improving and benefitting from my cyberspace creation. So forward and onward.

One of my favourite blogs is WhiteOnRiceCouple.com - maybe one of the cutest couples that blog and they like me love photography and food hence I follow, admire, and aspire to be like them. So yesterday they did a post on their commissioned promo video for Jeff Hertberg and Zoe Francois's new book, Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five minutes a Day and there are beautiful photographs of an artsy fartsy pizza gathering amongst friends.

This inspired me to share photographs from the little pizza party that I hosted in the summer.


So at a Sunday beach picnic we decided to have a pizza party at my aunt's house (I was house-sitting) the very following day (the Monday) and before I knew it - AAHHH - people were coming to eat pizza by me!!!

A few things we did that worked and I recommend:
  • I mixed dough in the morning before I headed off to work (which allowed the yeasty dough to rise while I slaved away at the daily grind). I cannot recall what recipe I used - so sorry - and I didn't want to lie to you so no recipe in this post.
  • I asked everyone to bring toppings. This works because usually people can gather odds and ends from their refrigerator (at last minute notice) and as a result your pizza party has an eclectic mix of toppers. We got everything from feta cheese to pesto to picnic ham to olives to balsamic vinegar.
  • Another thing that worked was making your guests do hard labour - get them to the top the pizzas - duh!! We divided up the dough so that everyone could get creative and construct their own masterpieces. This however had an unexpected catch - their masterpiece had to be shared amongst the party.
  • Since we only had one pizza stone (and it was on the BBQ - impressive no?) the speed of producing toasty, melty, yummy pizzas was extremely slightly hindered. This handicap was rectified by simply sharing. One pizza went on and when cooked to perfection it was cut up and placed in the centre of the table for everyone to have a nibble. So basically it was one course of pizza goodness after another.


My favourite topping for that evening - a cracked egg!! yummy!!!

Now these photos are nothing to brag about - they are dark, the ISO is high but you got to give me points - I didn't do the dishes :)




No comments:

Post a Comment