Monday, February 6, 2012

Last Week's Likes

Visiting the South Coast of Barbados
On Friday I finished the work day/work week at a meeting on the South Coast (I work in Speightstown - which is way north). This is a rare occurrence so I decided to reap full reward and mosey on down to the boardwalk. 

It was lovely. I took photos. I strolled. I chatted to a cute old lady. I practiced some HDR photography. And I meet up with a friend for a beer at Blakey's Bar & Restaurant.

Not a bad Friday afternoon!
The Boardwalk Bandstand

Red Lentil Soup - Heidi Swanson style
I love soup.

And more importantly I have discovered two of the easiest, quickest, most forgiving lentil soup recipes and both were created by the talented Heidi Swanson of 101cookbooks (links at the bottom). Neither recipe was followed exactly but I still produced a soup to be proud of.

In both recipes I added extra vegetables, garnished the soup differently and extended the recipe so I could eat more soup. I have shared this soup with loved ones, I have made it three times, I have taken it to work for lunch, and I occasionally daydream about it.

What I like the most is that I can start cooking at 6:00pm and dinner is ready by 7:15pm — now that is my kind of soup!

Red Lentil Soup with Lemon Recipe

Barbados Photographic Society Photowalk - Oistins Fish Market
Sunday morning I went on the Barbados Photographic Society's first photowalk for 2012. About 20 members met up in Oistins Fish Market at the glorious hour of 6:00am and took photos.

The society decided to challenge us by splitting us into two groups (each with a group leader). The group followed the leader and when the leader said stop, we had to stop and see what interesting photos we could get from that spot. It was a challenge and I hope to share some new photos with you soon from this walk. 

But for now, here are my feet on the edge of the Oistins pier.


Catching up with close friends
Due to busy schedules, commitments, circumstances, and so forth, I do not see my close buddies as often as I would like. But this pass weekend I saw three of my close friends and got to catch up with each of them.

I am even more excited because I am having my close girlfriends over for dinner this week. I cannot wait to entertain them.

Photo taken a year ago thanks to the my dad's MacBook
Happy Monday All!
x x x


Helpful links:

More images of the Barbados Boardwalk according to Google images (note that the Boardwalk is no longer under construction — it is complete and beautiful): HERE

Restaurants on the Boardwalk:
Blakey's Bar & Restaurant
Tapas
Naru Restaurant & Lounge

Heidi Swason's blog 101 cookbooks: HERE
Lentil Soup #1 (Red Lentil Soup Recipe): HERE
Lentil Soup #2 (Red Lentil Soup with Lemon Recipe): HERE

Feet photo inspired by Astrid at the blog Hei Astrid: HERE
Astrid's photobook entitled Look Down (the actual inspiration): HERE 

Information on Barbados Photographic Society: HERE
My first photowalk with the society: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment