Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Leave your shutter open

On the same Sunday after the pig roast, I experimented with leaving the shutter of my camera open to capture some of the Cattlewash scenery. The shutter speed is one of the camera's manual settings that allows you to manipulate light: how it enters and is registered by your camera. Your shutter speed can be slowed down to show movement in your shot, which is what I did below.

Some tips/pointers when shooting with a long shutter speed:
  • Shutter speed is measured in seconds. So you can freeze a motion by only letting your shutter be open for 1/1000 (one thousandth) of a second or show movement (motion blur) by leaving it open for 8 seconds.
  • When the shutter is open for 1/60 of a second or longer it is essential to use a tripod or makeshift tripod (some sort of device to keep it steady because the human body is not that reliable). This way objects that are not in motion are clear, crisp and in focus.
  • A long shutter speed is also ideal for low light environments. It allows more light into the camera and can make darker places appear lighter on film.
  • It also presents a great opportunity to paint with light. You can use a single light source (to write words or draw pictures - an upcoming project) or multiple light sources (a street of moving traffic - many light streams). The possibilities are endless - and I cannot wait to try new things.
  • Many photographers use it to show movement in water (a waterfall, a babbling brook, etc.)
In the photos below, I primarily used a slow shutter speed because I was in a low light situation (twilight-ish time) and wanted more light to enter my camera. The photos have movement - whether it is the ocean, people, or palm trees but because I used my trusty tripod, everything that was motionless is crisp.

Fisherman. Soft ocean. Some ghostly people (oh well!)
Much darker but having the shutter open for 16sec (if I recall correctly) allowed me to get this shot.


Check out this website for amazing (or as they title it - BREATHTAKING) examples of using a slow shutter speed. Before you know it, one will be mine! :)

PS. doesn't the term "babbling brook" make you smile... or is it just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment