Monday, May 23, 2011

Sunday feasting

Sundays were invented to indulge in big hearty meals that were made with love and with the ultimate goal of undoing the top button of all pants in pure satisfaction. Now I do not particularly get satisfaction from undoing my top button but I speak metaphorically (otherwise with every Monday will come the sudden desire to calorie count - not fun!).

Yesterday I spent the day at home with my mum so it was an overall wholesome day and despite it just being the two of us, we devoured two healthy meals, sipped some tea, had a gin and tonic (my mum's official Sunday drink) and enjoyed some Bardolino wine with dinner.

So to begin our day I made eggs and bacon for breakfast. Now I do not believe in eating food if there isn't a vegetable present on the plate - the truth! So I incorporated spinach into our scrambled eggs (the most popular ingredient for the past week since dad bought two large bags of the leafy green). To make the meal more of a Sunday treat, I added blue cheese... the combination was quite glorious. Afterall who doesn't like Danish Blue. Recipe for the spinach and blue cheese scrambled eggs to come...


We love love love a fussy Sunday breakfast... fussy meaning that the breakfast is not just another weekday-like breakfast. Mum and I munched on this stacked breaky at about 11:00am and as a result we are able to hold back our hunger until dinner time. But since we do not get many Sunday afternoons with just the two of us, we indulged in tea.

For tea we pulled out Mum's china, that was handed down from her great grandmother on her maternal side (my great great). I loved it and I even made a point to mismatch the tea pot with the cup and saucers - eclectic of me. I believe that even though these china pieces are treasured they should be used because treasures are not loved unless they are enjoyed!


We sat on our patio and sipped Lipton tea and munched on toast with black currant jam and butter. Tea was followed by leisurely reading and the very necessary Sunday gin and tonic with lime from our lime tree out back.

Great Great Gran's tea cups and saucers

When it finally got dark (about 7pm here in Barbados) after tea we settled down to watch Black Swan and eat a chicken curry that we had stewing for at least 2 1/2 hrs. It was divine. The meat was falling off the bone and the dish like most others that weekend featured spinach. On the side we had coleslaw with fresh dill and to drink I choose Bardolino (a red wine that pairs well with poultry and other light meat dishes - accordingly to the label). To top off a perfect Sunday of feasting we each had 2 squares each of 70% dark chocolate made by Green & Black.

Our curry and coleslaw

ps. Be mindful of what you are eating when choosing your napkins.... let us just say that we were happy we choose dark napkins for this curry dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment