Monday, March 5, 2012

Last Week's Likes

So the last week hasn't been the best - my vacation ended, I had to go back to work, and on top of all that I came home with a cold. But one must always find a silver lining... and here is my week's silver lining:

Coming home to my animals
I have always grown up with dogs and cats - I love having pets. Since I have been home from vacation and I missed their company - I have spoilt them by letting them join me on my bed while I am on the computer or reading. They know this privilege is a rare occurrence but they are not questioning it, simply curling up and passing out.


From left to right: Lu Lu, Rosie, Winnie (cat)


Starting a book with the boyfriend
Now I am not a big reader. I take a while to read and sometimes tend to daydream in the midst of reading however I do enjoy reading a good book. This week I started "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins and so far so good. I am more than half way now and the book is holding my attention - I even picked it up yesterday morning and read it with breakfast. It is an apocalyptic, suspense, totally-out-there-but-makes-you-wonder novel.

The description on the back of the book:
"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

What is the nicest part about this book is I am not reading it alone. After a chapter or two - I can chat to David about what happened, what I think, what does he think — sort of like a mini book club.

Let me not forget to mention — it is a trilogy.
And... drum roll please... it is going to be a movie :)




And here is the trailer:


Dinner at my friend, Sanjana's house
This week, some girlfriends and I were invited to Sanjana's house for dinner. We gave each other updates, enjoyed a fantastic meal and finished the night off with a lovely surprise compliments Sanjana.  After dinner she gathered us all in the kitchen and gave us each a brownie covered in colourful sprinkles with a candle in it. She said that this little brownie was because in 2011 we were not the best at celebrating everyone's birthday - so she wanted to acknowledge everyone's special day on a random day.
It was so fun - to have some cake and champagne while sitting on kitchen counters with some of my favourite people.

Sanj's photo from Instagr.am


Donating to a great cause
On Saturday, I went through all my jewelry and donated most of it to a lady trying to raise money for the Future Centre in Barbados. At the end of the day, most of the jewelry hasn't been touched in years. So why hold on to it? It wasn't easy to part with everything but at the end of the day it is going to a good cause.

Dog on the bed again - I am too weak!

Have a great Monday!!

Helpful Links:
Some funny videos of pets: HERE

If you want to buy the paperback, go: HERE
A link to the author, Suzanne Collins: HERE
A review of the The Hunger Games: HERE

A little more about the Barbados Future Centre: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment